?

Log in

No account? Create an account
According to Amazon, this comes out tomorrow. Maybe it will be… - dmv/blogs/lj

> Recent Entries
> Archive
> Friends
> Profile
> dmv/index

Links
dmv/index

Alt. Info Streams
Twitter
Memestream
Flickr Stream

August 20th, 2002


Previous Entry Share Next Entry
07:40 pm
According to Amazon, this comes out tomorrow. Maybe it will be useful, as I've been arriving at the conclusion that I've been floundering because this work is too hard for me. Not such an easy confession, but jesus: the bison parser is about 4000 lines (not including the 6000 lines of header files included... lots of macros). The .c files, just in the C++ GCC frontend directory are about 97000 lines (ok, discount 10K being parse.c). I don't really know what to do about it.

(14 comments | Leave a comment)

Comments:


[User Picture]
From:effjay
Date:August 20th, 2002 05:18 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Now that is a scary book.
[User Picture]
From:daemonv
Date:August 21st, 2002 08:02 am (UTC)
(Link)
Why do you say that?
[User Picture]
From:effjay
Date:August 21st, 2002 08:55 am (UTC)
(Link)
Can a 650 page book on gcc actually be fun?
[User Picture]
From:daemonv
Date:August 21st, 2002 09:25 am (UTC)
(Link)
More than a barrel of monkeys.
[User Picture]
From:effjay
Date:August 21st, 2002 09:32 am (UTC)
(Link)
I suggest going to Church before reading this book.
From:ex_trurl
Date:August 20th, 2002 05:46 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Remind me again why Seth thinks it is really necessary to use GCC to test these ideas?
[User Picture]
From:daemonv
Date:August 21st, 2002 08:03 am (UTC)
(Link)
We're not using GCC. We're using Open64. Which has the GCC frontend set to generate WHIRL not RTL. But I'm getting hung up in some of the frontend issues. Bah.
[User Picture]
From:daemonv
Date:August 21st, 2002 08:04 am (UTC)
(Link)
And we're doing that because Open64, in Seth's opinion, is the best GPL C++ compiler. Which, given the research libraries are in C++ and the techniques are based on augmenting C++, means we should use it.
From:ex_trurl
Date:August 21st, 2002 08:13 am (UTC)
(Link)
And he didn't stop to ask himself, "I wonder, C++ is really complicated, maybe we should test our ideas in a simpler setting before we knock ourselves out?"
[User Picture]
From:daemonv
Date:August 21st, 2002 08:15 am (UTC)
(Link)
That does not get the blood (and money) of the greenhouse pumping. Besides, I get the sense that this isn't hard for him. He's spent quite some time hacking GCC in a former context...
From:ex_trurl
Date:August 21st, 2002 08:06 am (UTC)
(Link)
Err, maybe I should had asked that differently. Why does Seth want to test out ideas with such complicated software? Or does he already know that it will work and you're developing part of the end product?
From:ex_trurl
Date:August 20th, 2002 05:51 pm (UTC)
(Link)
Unfortunately, this does not look like it will be detailed enough for your needs. I thought there was at least some online documentation on GCC internals.
[User Picture]
From:daemonv
Date:August 21st, 2002 08:05 am (UTC)
(Link)
Yes. I kind of wanted a book I could go hide at 61c with. It is all too easy to start looking at online documentation... and then surfing for other things... particularly given how unpleasantly complicated it all is.
From:ex_trurl
Date:August 21st, 2002 08:10 am (UTC)
(Link)
And the Lord created the Laser Printer. And they were bountiful, and free in the wilds of Wean.

> Go to Top
LiveJournal.com